Cancer Research Unit
Cancer Research Unit
Unit Head- Consultant Community Physician
This unit is responsible to implement research areas related to cancer which is required for the evidence based decision making process to improve cancer care services in Sri Lanka and close liaison with all development actors, partners and bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors in Sri Lanka.
Terms of reference
- To work within and support the relevant National committees and technical working groups to develop and regularly up-date national policies, strategies, guidelines, protocols and frameworks by providing current local evidence.
- Identify the prioritized cancer research areas in Sri Lanka.
- To collaborate with senior management team of each unit, research organizations and Cancer care hospitals and other relevant authorities in decision making and carrying out of cancer related researches.
- Design & implement activities related to promotion & popularizing cancer research among medical and other health community in Sri Lanka.
- Lead, collaborate and or commission research audits/projects, and/or undertake research or audits in relation to cancer prevention and control.
- Provide expertise where necessary in research design, management and its implementation in relation to cancer prevention and control.
- Conduct desk reviews to compile cancer related research conducted in Sri Lanka.
- Dissemination of current evidence into practice and policy formulation.
- Utilization of research evidence for informed decision making in relation to cancer prevention and control.
- Strengthening of partnership with other research organizations and academic institutions.
- Improvement of research capacity of public health staff.
- Provision of technical expertise to public health staff for conduction of research.
- Provide technical expertise as a team member in improving quality of healthcare delivery related to cancer through development of guidelines, standards, protocols etc.
- Conduct cancer research seminars, journal clubs to motivate cancer researchers.
- Promote abstract submissions to scientific conferences and writing full text articles to journals in relation to cancer control.
- Develop links with cancer researchers and cancer research units in the country.